Recorded on November 20, 2014
1 Hour Training
FREE for YIPA members
$20 for non-YIPA members
Helping Youth and Young Adults Understand and Overcome Their Juvenile Records
What happens after a youth has a juvenile record? Do you know and more importantly do the youth you serve know? The common misperception is that such records are wiped clean when a youth reaches adulthood. Reality is that juvenile records often have a long term broad impact on a youth who has been charged and/or adjudicated. The impact extends into adulthood and can affect employment, housing and education options.
Leading this informative webinar will be attorneys from the Council on Crime and Justice. They will be discussing the collateral consequences of juvenile records and what options are available to help youth and young adults obtain a second chance.
What you will learn can be truly life changing for the youth you work with.
- Learn how juvenile records are created, retained, disseminated, accessed, and the information they can contain.
- Understand ongoing and long-term consequences of having a juvenile record and its impact on a person’s ability to be a functioning member of society.
- Gain a better understanding of Minnesota’s new criminal records expungement law that takes effect January 2015. Learn what it does, why it is important, and how youth can benefit from it and get a second chance.
- Learn about other laws providing protections for people struggling to overcome the burden of a criminal record.
Joshua Esmay is the criminal records staff attorney at the Council on Crime and Justice. In addition to helping individuals struggling to overcome the barriers posed by a past criminal record, Joshua also leads workshops on criminal records, as well as facilitates trainings for employers, employment specialists and criminal justice personnel. Prior to his employment at the Council, he served as an assistant public defender in Ramsey County. He is currently the President-Elect of the Minnesota Community Corrections Association.
Each of YIPA’s trainings are designed around MyYouthPro’s Competency Framework. The competency focus of this training is: AT-RISK BEHAVIORS
- Online Training
- Recorded on November 20, 2014
- 1 Hour Training
- FREE for YIPA members
- $20 for non-YIPA members
- Not a member? Annual memberships are only $99 for individuals and only $250 for organizations. Click here to join or learn more.