Status: Part-time (.5 FTE)
Starting Compensation: $20/hr to $25/hr depending on experience
Reports to: Executive Director
We are adding a part-time curriculum manager/educator position to our executive team. This is an on-site position. Our program is located in Saint Paul.
Individuals with lived experiences with homelessness or unstable housing, as well as those identifying as a person of color or other marginalized populations are encouraged to apply.
Elpis Enterprises is a not-for-profit organization that operates social enterprises as the framework for its employment readiness training and career pathway building for young people between 16 and 23 years of age experiencing homelessness or unstable housing in Ramsey and Hennepin counties. We use the multi-faceted aspects of our small businesses to provide an introduction to diverse careers that build on an individual trainee’s unique interests, skills, and passion.
While we emphasize the development of strong employment readiness (‘soft’ or ‘professional’) skills development through experiential learning, we also offer our trainees opportunities to earn introductory certificates. Our curriculum include: Microsoft Office Suites, University of Minnesota Extension-At Your Service, Business 101 (using SalesForce Trailhead), and North Star Digital Literacy, as well as opportunities to foster personal financial literacy.
Position Summary: While we work with 25 to 30 trainees a year, the curriculum manager/educator will typically be working with 5 to 10 trainees over a 12 to 16 week period.
The curriculum manager/educator is a combination tutor, coach, and mentor focusing on a young person maximizing the learning opportunities we offer in our program.
- Provide a trainee with individualized support to succeed in experiential and text-based learning.
- Work with a trainee in developing and completing a project-based learning opportunity within our social enterprises.
- Work with our career counselor to support and guide trainees in developing strong time management, goal setting, accountability, and similar skills needed for academic and professional development success.
- Identify a trainee’s learning style, strengths, and deficiencies and develop appropriate strategies for achieving success.
- Communicate at least once a week with each trainee in the social enterprise based training component.
- Verifies and documents a trainee’s progress or accomplishments achieved with a curriculum component or specific learning objective.
- Supports and guides a trainee to be independent in using various learning strategies, which will position the trainee for success in post-Elpis opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies to be Successful in this Position:
- Role model professional/soft/21st Century skills (e.g., accountability, response to supervision, communication, punctuality).
- Celebrate diversity in all forms and be part of a team fostering an inclusive organization.
- Understands and recognizes how trauma influences an individual’s ability to engage in learning.
- Use and role model de-escalation and conflict resolution strategies.
- Use a youth-centered asset-building approach to promote learning.
- Familiarity with online learning and Internet technology.
- Use Microsoft Office Suite.
- Problem-solve and be self-motivated.
- Multi-task and independently manage your time.
Education, Experience, Certifications, and Licenses:
A bachelor’s degree or enrollment in a degree-granting program in education or similar field of study and/or three or more years of experience working with older youth or young adults in a classroom setting.
Frequently required to sit for an extended period of time. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
COVID 19 vaccination is required.
Range: $20,000 to $25,000 per year depending on experience. We offer PTO and a 401 K plan.
How to Apply:
Submit a resume and two brief paragraphs highlighting accomplishments specific to promoting learning among individuals from under-resourced/under-invested communities.
Send to: [email protected]. Include in the subject line Curriculum Manager Educator.
Elpis Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workforce. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, creed, religion, disability, national origin or ancestry, gender identity, marital or familial status, socio-economic background, age, sexual or affectional orientation, citizenship, protected veteran or military status or any other protected class.