Position: Development Director
Location: Twin Cities Center
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA: Non-Exempt, 1.0 FTE
Voyageur Outward Bound School (VOBS) delivers amazing hands on experiences that help people develop confidence and character by challenging their perception of what they can accomplish.
Over the past four years, VOBS has more than doubled the number of donors and has grown its fundraising by more than fifty percent. This person has the opportunity to solidify our development team and capacity and to continue to broaden our donor base. This person will have some involvement primarily on individual donors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet development goals for dollars and diversifying donor base
- Help create development strategy and plans, and strengthen the VOBS development value proposition, messaging and development tactics
- Manage development staff and all aspects of the development department, including communications and events
- Maintain donor portfolio and bring in new donor relationships.
- Network and build VOBS’ awareness in the community
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in grant strategy and process, site visits and build relationships with foundations
- Leverage VOBS alumni to build awareness and grow development
- Work collaboratively and share information and lessons with other Outward Bound development directors
- Work with the VOBS board and development committee and assist with board recruitment
- Cultivate a culture of philanthropy with VOBS staff and board
- Stay current on best practices and trends in development locally and nationally
- Help create a planned giving initiative
Qualities, Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong record of fundraising success
- Ability to develop new donor relationships and grow existing donor relationships
- Entrepreneurial and results oriented
- Management experience
- Ability to plan and meet goals and deadlines
- Experience with grants and foundations
- Experience with development databases
- Problem solving
- Passion for VOBS’ life changing mission
Education and Work Experience:
- Minimum four years of development experience, preferably working directly with individual donors
- Bachelor’s degree
- Salary competitive with nonprofit Development Director salaries
- Eligible for full-time benefits.
Please apply by sending your cover letter, resume and three references to Emily Hoover at [email protected] Please no phone calls.