CITY OF BROOKLYN PARK
invites applications for the position of:
Recreation Specialist – PT Aquatics; Recreation and Parks Departments
SALARY: $23.75 – $30.51 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 11/26/19
CLOSING DATE: 12/10/19 11:59 PM
The Recreation Specialist – Aquatics will be responsible for leading the planning, development, implementation, and administration of a comprehensive aquatics program for the Brooklyn Park Recreation and Parks Department. Brooklyn Park aquatic lessons and water activities are year- round. This position will contract with two schools to utilize pools, locker rooms and implement the programs. Lessons take place during the daytime, evening and weekend hours. This position will provide work direction and training for all aquatics employees and volunteers and will assist with maintaining positive partnerships with community organizations, school district staff/maintenance, and patrons to provide leisure time opportunities for all ages and abilities.
This position will work independently under the general supervision of the Recreation Supervisor and is a member of a results-oriented staff that works together to develop innovative service delivery methods and programs focused on quality, partnerships and service to our community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the planning, training/development, implementation, and administration of a comprehensive aquatics program
- Secure aquatic facility permits and establish positive relationships with School District Facility Operations personnel
- Plan and lead in-service training for all aquatic staff and volunteers
- Plan aquatic certification training for staff and update certifications as needed
- Ensure a clean and safe pool facility and office area at each site
- Maintain accurate records including attendance, registration, participation levels, parent evaluations, and seasonal program reports
- Maintain emergency plans and procedures that include regular in-service trainings andaccurate incident/accident reporting
- Establish and maintain records management system process
- Promote aquatic and recreational programs
- Assist Recreation Supervisor with youth and adult programs and leagues as needed
- Assist Recreation Supervisor with budget preparation and maintenance
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise seasonal aquatics staff and volunteers
- Work cooperatively with all recreation program staff, administrative staff, office staff and other outside agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned
MINIMUM AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Associate’s degree in Parks and Recreation or closely related field
Two (2) years of related experience to the duties of the position, which include:
- Aquatics and recreation experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience to perform the work
- Aquatic programming, coordination and planning work experience
- Recreational program planning
- Current Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification. Ellis or Star certification accepted at time of hire, but Red Cross certification is required within 6 months of hire
- American Red Cross Life Guard Instructor Certification required within 6 months of hire
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to effectively lead and direct the work of others
- Basic fiscal knowledge in the area of budgeting and tracking expenses
- Previous work experience working with public, requiring tact and courtesy
- Ability to foster and promote a positive teamwork environment
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively with all ages
- Ability to work in an active, noisy environment
- Ability to enforce pool safety rules
- Experience working with people with disabilities
- Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to provide a level of customer service that meets/exceeds customer expectation and satisfaction
Embrace and engage in cultural shift toward Continuous Improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation and Parks education or related field
- American Red Cross Life Guard Trainer Certification
- Knowledge of Rec Trac registration software
- Previous experience working with people from various cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish, Hmong, Russian, Somali or Vietnamese
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
About Brooklyn Park
Brooklyn Park is a thriving northwestern suburb of Minneapolis and the sixth largest city in the state with over 80,000 residents. As the 11th fastest growing city in Minnesota, the city has become even more vibrant because of our remarkable racial and cultural diversity. Fifty-four percent of residents are people of color, 22 percent are foreign-born, and more than a quarter speak a language other than English at home.
Resume/Cover Letter Requested: To help us evaluate candidates’ education, experience and skills, we are requesting all candidates provide a resume and cover letter
Department/Division: Recreation and Parks Department
Anticipated Work Schedule: Part-time, non-exempt, non-union position that will work up to 20 hours per week, Monday-Friday with evenings and Saturdays as needed to maintain appropriate level of supervision of aquatics program.
Anticipated Hiring Wage: $23.75 – $30.51 dependent upon qualifications
Part-time Limited Benefits: Sick and vacation are earned at a pro-rated rate. PERA Life, Flex Spending, and Deferred Comp eligible. This position is NOT eligible for Medical or Dental Insurance/Benefits.