Live Online Training
Wednesday, December 12, 2018
9:30 am to 11:30 am Central Time
FREE for YIPA members
$40 for non-YIPA members
There is growing evidence that punitive discipline systems, beliefs, and practices are failing our young people. These methods do not teach youth how to deal with conflict in healthy ways, lead to improved outcomes, or create strong relationships. Wholesale changes that shift to more effective alternatives than retributive justice and promote healing and empowerment are needed.
Seeing your work through a restorative lens will jumpstart that critical mind shift on both personal and organizational levels. Shifting to a restorative framework will improve your interventions and give youth tools they can practice and utilize in spaces that aren’t set up to empower them. You’ll have a stronger foundation for more effective communication and be better prepared to deal with your own discomfort, particularly in conflict situations.
This training will ground you in the basics of restorative practices. You’ll learn why restorative justice is so vital to building systemic equity. You’ll also develop plans for addressing the behavior challenges that bring you the most discomfort in your daily work. You can’t dismantle generations of punitive mindsets in a two-hour training, but you can be awakened to the realities of the work ahead and gain tools to help youth believe in their capacity, self-worth, and voice.
- Explore the basic elements of restorative practices
- Understand each element of the Restorative Practices Continuum and why they are important to system-wide equity in discipline
- Learn how to use context to determine which restorative practice(s), at minimum, should be applied to address particular behavior challenges
- Examine what adult or youth behavior challenges give you the greatest amount of discomfort to address
- Understand how past and present culture, politics, and policy inform why restorative work is so vital today
Marius Massie (www.mariusmassie.com) is a Human Relations Strategist who partners with executives, principals, and superintendents to solve people challenges in the workforce; setting cultures of change. After spending more than a decade working in higher education, professional development, and youth empowerment, Marius knows how to shift negative mindsets, leverage personal skills, and promote healthy workforce culture by scaling individual transformation from one person to many. Marius knows how to organically perpetuate growth within your organization.
Marius is conducting Restorative Practices training and executive coaching in a variety of school districts including Saint Louis Park Public Schools, St. Anthony-New Brighton Schools, and Hopkins Public Schools. He is a passionate speaker engaging students and leaders at TreeHouse, MN Teen Challenge, Farmers Insurance, and Hennepin Technical College, to name a few.
Marius holds a BA in rhetorical studies from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
Each of YIPA’s trainings are designed around MyYouthPro’s Competency Framework. The competency focus of this training is: BEHAVIORAL INTERVENTION
- Live Online Training
- Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- 9:30 am to 11:30 am Central Time
- FREE for YIPA members
- $40 for non-YIPA members
- Not a member? Annual memberships are only $99 for individuals and only $250 for organizations. Click here to join or learn more.
- This training will count as 2 CEU hours for most boards. Please contact your board directly with questions on submitting.