If you work with young people, YOU belong here!
YOU are YIPA. We are an inclusive community, made up of a diversity of people and programs empowering young people. We learn from each other, encourage each other, and grow together. We share your passion for youth work and proudly support your mission.
Check out the large and diverse group of community members.
In Service to Social Justice
YIPA acknowledges that systems which favor a particular race, culture, identity, gender, religious affiliation, ability, or socioeconomic status above others are a root cause of discrimination and disadvantages preventing social justice and equality for all.
We do not accept this status quo and we commit ourselves, as an association and as individuals, to be social justice champions.
A Little History
In 1976, the Minnesota legislature established the Youth Intervention Programs (YIP) grant to fund a variety of promising Youth Intervention programs. Two years later, the first few YIP grantees united to have a greater impact for young people.
The collective success of that small group proved our power of community concept. And in 1984 the Youth Intervention Programs Association (YIPA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit was formed. The YIPA community membership expanded to include different programs, approaches, models, and promising new ideas. Diversity became the strength of YIPA.
Today, YIPA is larger and has more positive impact than anyone envisioned years ago. We now have members from around the globe. Our mission and passion will never change, but our collective impact is changing the world.
Our Values Drive Us
We don’t just talk about our values, we let them shine through everything we do.
- In every interaction with us, you’ll feel valued, supported, and respected because we do genuinely care about you.
- Your work can be difficult at times so we’re here to support you. You can rely on our friendly, responsive and sincere service.
- It’s not all work and no fun. Just like the young people you serve, we appreciate a playful attitude and a good sense of humor.
- Through open and honest communication, being transparent about our work and building authentic relationships, we strive to earn your trust and keep your loyalty.
- Belonging is about building community that reflects diversity, expects equity, and welcomes all to participate, engage, network and collaborate.
- YIPA is powered by people who share your passion for serving young people. We courageously challenge the status quo and develop innovative approaches for your benefit.
- You’ll appreciate our commitment to excellence because your programs deserve nothing less than our best. Our best will help the young people you serve achieve their best.
- Like you, our hearts are 100% invested in helping young people positively develop their skills and talents.