When you interact with YIPA through one of our events or our advocacy efforts, we collect information you have shared with us. We use this data to provide you with pertinent information and make your experience with YIPA more meaningful and relevant to your youth work-specific interests.
- Why we collect data and how we collect it.
- What types of information we do and do not collect.
- How we protect your data.
- Ways in which we do and do not use your data.
- How you can update or delete any and all data we have on you.
- How we address changes to this policy.
Our policy is meant to be simple and straightforward because our practice of collection and use of data is simple and straightforward.
Why and How YIPA Collects Data
We want you to be successful in your efforts to support youth in becoming productive adults. We collect data for two primary reasons:
To help us better serve you. Data helps us understand which of our services and offerings are important to you. We respect your interests and strive to offer services that you will find valuable.
To help us make prudent organizational decisions. Given limited resources and the desire to make significant social change, we attempt to make data-driven decisions whenever possible. The information we collect helps us determine our audience reach and impact.
We collect information in two ways:
At your request. When you sign up for our E-newsletters, ask to get our updates, or become a member, your information is added to our database.
Information we collect when you attend a YIPA event or TAKE ACTION. Within our databases, we categorize and sort this information according to how you have engaged with YIPA (training, TAKE ACTION, etc.).
Types of Information YIPA Does and Does Not Collect
We only collect information that is beneficial to your experience with us and information we can protect.
Data we collect. YIPA’s policy is to only collect basic information about you. When you complete one of our forms, the date and time are recorded and we may ask for data such as your name, organization, type of youth work you do, phone number(s), email address, and physical address.
Data we do not collect. YIPA does not collect, use, or store sensitive private data such as age, gender, and race. We also do not collect, store, or even know your credit card or banking information. YIPA uses a Gateway Merchant to handle all our financial transactions with you. Gateway Merchants are required by federal law to ensure financial transaction security.
How YIPA Protects Your Data
YIPA believes data privacy is a top priority. Only YIPA team members have access to YIPA’s databases on a regular basis. From time to time, our database administrators or consultants may be granted access to make improvements or correct technical problems. All of our databases are password protected and basic internet security firewalls are utilized on all devices YIPA uses to manage our data.
How YIPA Does and Does Not Use Your Data
The data we collect helps us to make data-driven decisions and serve you better.
Ways in which your data is used.
- Data from your past engagement with YIPA helps us more precisely focus our communications, including TAKE ACTION emails, to recipient audiences. Data on past engagement is also used to help us decide future initiatives.
- We sometimes share aggregate (non-personally identifiable) information with sponsors, legislators, members of the association and/or similar groups. The shared data is for identifying general trends or overall use of our services. The data is presented in a way that no third party can identify an individual person.
- Because our trainings may be used to seek CE hours or staff development within a member program, we may provide your data to credible licensing boards and/or your agency directors/supervisors if an organization paid for your training. Information we may share includes: the training name and length, the registration date and time, the quiz date and time, and the total number of training hours you register for.
- If an enforceable governmental request is made to YIPA, we would comply with current law and disclose requested data.
Ways in which your data is not used. We respect the trust you have given us and we do not share, sell, or give away your data in any other manner than listed above. As part of their orientation, each YIPA team member receives training on the appropriate use of individual data and YIPA’s data privacy policies.
How You Can Update or Delete Information
You may inquire at any time about the data we have collected about you and we will respect your request to delete any or all data in our database. Of course, we hope to never lose your trust, but we will fully honor your request.
We may need to occasionally update and revise this policy statement. Please note, we will not change our privacy standards without written notice.
If our policy changes, we will do our best to ensure that you know about any significant changes before they are implemented. As good practice, we will keep historical records of past policy statements which can be reviewed at any time by you.
Last updated October 28, 2021